UUID Multi Versions Generator
uuid generator and download, single or multi uuids using v1, v3, v4, v5
What is UUID?
An UUID is a 128 bits number that will universally unique identify something.
What are the different versions UUID?
- Version 1: stuffs MAC address, datetime into 128 bits.
- Version 3: stuffs MD5 hash into 128 bits.
- Version 4: stuffs random data into 128 bits.
- Version 5: stuffs SHA1 hash into 128 bits.
* In version 3 and version 5, additional arguments namespace and name have to be given.
When to use UUID?
- You want something unique across applications.
- You don't want to control the identity of records.
https://yourdomain.com/invoice/0a82fe86-ed71-4af5-b9aa-7760fb1a5287 make sence.
- To avoid unnecessary call to an external system, for example high throughput message broker like RabbitMQ, Kafka asking Database for an identifier every time it publishes a message.
Disadvantages of UUID?
- Larger space use.
- Can't sort by insert order.
- Look ugly in url.